Stevens - Connor
American Legion Post 1330
WHAT IS THE AMERICAN LEGION?
"The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic
veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nationís largest wartime
veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of
wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting
strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow servicemembers and
veterans" (words taken directly from the American Legion national website).
History of the Stevens-Connor American Legion Post 1330
The Stevens-Connor American Legion Post No. 1330 was named in honor of:
Through the dedicated members' efforts, many improvements were made to this structure over the
years. Major efforts included a remodeling in 1949, anew addition to the main building, completed
in 1954, and a large modern kitchen, that was added in 1961. The last major change was in 1986,
when additional storage and new ladies & mens facilities were added.
In addition to carrying on its traditional American Legion commitments to the national, state and
county organizations, the Stevens-Connor Post has consistently encouraged and sponsored many
youth programs and participated in many town-sponsored functions or projects.
History of American Legion Post 1330 and BSA Troop 334
A Cub Scout Pack was chartered in 1963, that existed until 1973.
Boy Scout Troop 334 was chartered in 1968.
The original Scouts were:
The original Troop Committee members were:
The original Scoutmaster was: Mr. Charles Venischall
The original (and current) Chartering Organization Representative: Mr. Walter Banker
© 2014 Troop 334, Boy Scouts of America - Rush, NY. All rights reserved.
1st LT John H. Stevens, who was born on Dec. 4, 1917, was killed in action
on July 17, 1944. He served as an officer in the 402nd Fighter Squadron, U.S. Army
Air Forces during World War II. He resided at 512 Plymouth Ave. S., Rochester, NY,
prior to the war. John enlisted in the Army on September 2, 1941, in Buffalo,NY. He
died when his plane was shot down over Britain during the war. He was awarded a
Purple Heart. LT Stevens is buried in .the Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, in Rochester
PFC John F. Connor, who was born in 1922, was killed in action on January
27, 1945.. He served in Company M, 357th Infantry, 90th Infantry Division of the
famous US 3rd Army, during World War II. He resided in Rush, NY, prior to the war
and enlisted in the Army on December 9, 1943 in Rochester, NY. John died in
Luxembourg during the "Battle of the Bulge". He, too, was awarded the Purple
Heart. PFC Connor is buried in Saint Paul of the Cross Cemetery, in Honeoye Falls,
Upon the return home of the WW II veterans, Mr. Lee Wiles, himself a WW I veteran, brought the
local veterans together to form American Legion Post 1330. The first meeting of the
Stevens-Connor American Legion Post was held at the Rush Town Hall on September 6, 1945.
The Post charter was granted in December 1945, with 60 charter members.
A contact phone number for the American Legion Post 1330 is: 585-533-1637
The following information was kindly supplied by: Mr. Walter Banker, Troop 334's Charter Organization Representative
of the American Legion Post 1330.
The new Post purchased the
one-room schoolhouse, located at
2611 Pinnacle Road, in the fall of
1946. This schoolhouse was built
in 1881 and was known as "Rural
District No. 2".